Pot Luck #42 - General Knowledge Quiz Questions
1. Which legendary chief of the Onondaga tribe of native Americans was the subject of a famous poem by Henry Longfellow?
2. Which famous sportsman was presented with a gold medal during the 1996 Olympics to replace the one he threw away in the 1960s?
3. What sort of movies are sometimes referred to as 'horse operas'?
4. Which word for the act of killing someone painlessly, especially to relieve suffering, is derived from the Greek word for 'easy death'?
5. Carmine is a vivid shade of which colour?
6. Name the island where Gulliver discovered a race of little people in the novel Gulliver's Travels.
7. In May 1999 who succeeded Benjamin Neyanyahu as Israel's Prime Minister?
8. Under Genoese control from the 14th century, which Mediterranean island was sold to France in 1768?
9. The face of which British soldier and politician appeared on one of the most famous of all recruiting posters with the slogan, 'Your Country Needs You'?
10. On what date in July do the French celebrate Bastille Day?
11. What type of buildings did Don Quixote mistake for evil giants?
12. Is Hong Kong north or south of the equator?
13. In which decade of the 20th Century was insulin first used to treat diabetes?
14. Jomo Kenyatta was Prime Minister and president of which African country?
15. According to tradition, Mount Nebo in Jordan contains the tomb of which Biblical leader?
16. Is the tree named in Latin as Fagus Sylvatica, ash, beech or elm?
17. Which ex-politician took part in his own play, The Accused, on the West End stage in 2000?
18. In which country in 2000 did the Mayon volcano erupt?
19. In the traditional rhyme, where would you ride to see a fine lady with rings on her fingers and bells on her toes?
20. In cookery, florentine means served with which vegetable?
21. Whom did Timothy Laurence marry in 1989?
22. In the book by Washington Irving, for how many years did Rip Van Winkle sleep?
23. Earl Hammer Jr. was the creator and narrator of which TV series?
24. What was the nickname of Meadow Lemon who was the famed clown member of the Harlem Globetrotters basketball team?
25. In which country in 1913 was actress Vivien Leigh born?
2. Muhammad Ali
7. Ehud Barak
9. Lord Kitchener
17. Jeffrey Archer
18. The Philippines
19. Banbury Cross
21. Princess Anne
23. The Waltons